WELCOME FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES!

I LOVE TO CREATE, WRITE AND PRODUCE. AT THIS CORNER OF THE EARTH, YOU WILL FIND SOME OF MY PUBLISHED AND UNPUBLISHED WORKS. SEND YOUR INQUIRIES TO NIGHTWRITER357@AOL.COM

August 26, 2012

(LAULYP) Los Angeles Urban League Young Professionals

I attended a symposium mixer-styled meeting, Behind the Lens Panelists, hosted by (LAULYP), Los Angeles Urban League Young Professionals at the Writers Guild of America, West on August 16, 2012. LAULYP is a sister group to the 100-year-old Los Angeles Urban League. Its focus and ties are embedded in positive business development opportunities via empowerment and networking. The panelists included Matty Rich, Dir., Prod. and Writer, "Straight out of Brooklyn" and "The Inkwell," Issa Rae, Dir., Prod., Writer and Actress, The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl webisode series, Christopher Mack, a Warner Bros. studio executive and Pat Charles, a graduate of the coveted Bill Cosby Fellowship Screenwriting program at USC and staff writer at Fox television. So many people, so little time to ask, inform and discuss television and film opportunities with the aspiring directors, producers, writers and actor/actresses that showed up. I had no idea who the panelists were as they mingled amidst us and with us nibbling on gourmet deli sandwiches, swiss and feta cheese balls, assorted fruit and berries and mini red velvet and lemon creme cupcakes swigged smoothly down with a complimentary glass of the new raspberry-infused cognac. Gulp! As I handed Rich my business card and in exchange I asked for his, I had no idea that he was who he was when I asked him if he was a writer, director or producer and if the woman with him (his wife) was an actress and  he her agent all in one sentence. He smiled and answered "something like that" and "I do everything." Fast forward to my jaw dropping when the panelists were formerly introduced and my eyes locked with his. He knew that I didn't know. I asked honest questions and did not become star struck by someone's presence asking groupie questions that annoy industry professionals. Sometimes not knowing is best, but I sure wish I knew who he was on August 16th. (Sighing)

No comments:

Post a Comment